Founded in the traditions of faith and service, Family Outreach Community United Services (FOCUS) is a community based agency called to embrace people in need, bring voice to the voiceless, and restore hope and dignity to the forgotten. FOCUS fosters the skills that enable people to gain control of their lives and their futures by providing the necessary steps to emerge from homelessness and poverty, and gain economic and social stability.
Thanks for visiting. Your support is appreciated.
• For the period January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013, FOCUS housed 447 people, including 175 adults and 272 children
• $19 per person/per day provides hope, a home, and independence
• $104 per year purchases books and other employment supplies for one of our participants
• $52 fills a Welcome Basket with cleaning supplies, dish soap and kitchen towels for a family entering FOCUS programming
• Approximately 87% of our revenue goes directly towards programs and services
• Our Front Door Ministries served 12,000+ people during 2013, providing emergency food and referral services
• Nearly 20% of our clients are homeless because they have had the courage to leave a domestic abuse situation.
• It has been said that the strength of a community can be measured by how well it pulls together to help those in need
• At FOCUS, we provide the support that allows our participant families to overcome the hopelessness of poverty and build the foundation for a stable life
FOCUS celebrated its commitment to the mission of ending homelessness in our community with our annual Spring Luncheon on May 21st. Over 250 guests came together to support FOCUS and our efforts to provide housing and other supportive services to those individuals and families demonstrating a willingness and desire to make their lives work.
Former FOCUS client Ronald Chasenah was the featured speaker, and the gripping story of his journey from homelessness to stability was a true testament to his desire to make a better life for himself and his family.
Ronald’s story illustrated how honest, hard work and commitment can have a positive effect on an otherwise dire situation, and a family at the lowest point in their lives can rise above overwhelming odds to not only become stable, but to thrive.
Thanks to our generous donors and sponsors, the luncheon was a huge success again this year, raising over $35,000!
Members of FOCUS’ staff and board of directors, along with volunteers from ABLE, came together for a neighborhood clean-up on Saturday, June 14th. Volunteers walked a two-city block area, picking up trash. Heading the Saturday morning group, FOCUS board president, Drew Masse, said “FOCUS staff offices are in this neighborhood, and many of our clients live in this area as well. So it’s really up to all of us when it comes to keeping things clean and nice looking.” The weather cooperated for a change, and the volunteers were all left with a smile and a sense of having done something nice for others.
FOCUS hosts a neighborhood clean-up several times each year. Keep an eye on our calendar to see when the next one is scheduled – we could use your help!